- Compare the definitions of petroleum and crude oil
- Relate the physical states of hydrocarbons to their carbon content
- Discuss how covalent bonds are formed between hydrogen and carbon
- Explain the use of base names, prefixes, and suffixes to label hydrocarbons
- Describe and compare the structure of the following hydrocarbon families:
- Identify correlations between physical properties of a hydrocarbon and the hydrocarbon’s molecular structure
- List some contaminants commonly found in crude oil and explain their adverse effects on oil refining
Available in English
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to discuss the molecular structure, physical properties, naming conventions, and commercial uses of several common hydrocarbons.
Sign up to receive free safety resources from Vivid.
Subscribe for Safety ▸