- Recall the purpose of relay protection schemes
- Identify the eight types of transmission circuits subject to relay loadability
- Identify the five types of generation facilities subject to relay loadability
- Recall the evolution of relay design
- List the three major types of relay construction and explain how they differ
- Identify the conditions causing the basic operation of instantaneous relays
- Identify the strengths and limitations of instantaneous relays
- Identify the strengths and limitations of time delay relays
- Identify the strengths and limitations of differential relays
- Recall how directionality can be obtained in an AC power system
- Recall how impedance is used to detect faults on the electric system
- Identify why overlapping zone protection is needed when using impedance relays
Available in English
When you complete this lesson you will understand the basic operating principles of common protective relays and how they are employed in protection systems.
Sign up to receive free safety resources from Vivid.
Subscribe for Safety ▸